Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pentecost Sunday

Pentecost Sunday coming up May 19th.  Πεντηκοστή (or the "fiftieth") always falls 50 days after Pascha (or Passover) and 10 days after Ascension Sunday.  Before I go any further it would be important for me to disclose that I'm not a big Church Calendar guy.  I like it, I think its good to have these bench marks through out the year for us to remember these very significant themes and events.  As it turns out my tradition follows from the Puritan Separatist movement who didn't think very highly of these liturgical devices.  I think it would be a good idea to revisit our reasons for ignoring some of these liturgical practices but that is neither here or there.     

Pentecost Sunday commemorates the work of the Holy Spirit through the Apostles on the day of Pentecost as the preaching of the Word lead to a multitude of believer Baptisms.  Luke records this amazing event of church history in Acts 2.  How about we re-read it in commemoration of Pentecost Sunday.     

No comments: